Wednesday, April 1, 2009

U-N-I & Ro Blvd Present: A Love Supreme Album Review By Sammy Jam

Good read!!!!

"It finally came out, the new release from the West Coast hip-hop's hottest duo from Inglewood, CA! And it's FREE !!!

U-N-I is Y-O and Thurzday and they've been releasin ill material during these last few years. They dropped the Fried Chicken & Watermelon mixtape in 2007 makin a huge buzz about hipster rap. I hope every listener noticed the magnificent talent and inspiration the group has 'cause it's far from the followers. Then the Before There Was Love mixtape came out stealin the spotlight and crabbin the attention in literally every hip-hop blog on the Internet. And they have truly earned their place!

I don't consider them as hipsters like others might. I think they are just lovin the late 80's and 90's hip-hop makin something totally new and innovative with their music. They bring back the side of hip-hop that was forgotten, the fun side. I mean music ain't supposed to be dark and deep all the time, we can just kick back and have some fun being goofy! This doesn't mean that they don't have depth in their lyrics 'cause that ain't the case in U-N-I's situtation. They are very conscious about the things happening in the world these days, they just don't rub it to your face. But this album is definetely a more conscious and reflecting piece than the mixtapes.

A Love Supreme starts off with a joint called My Life which takes a look at their lives before rappin and the fame. It's about what the people want you to be and what you wanna be. The track makes you ponder the fact that the choices you do in your life are up to you, and just you. And wade ever you wanna be, you can be if you believe in it. They also point the fact that people are aloud to be proud about what they have accomplished in their lifetime. I mean, if you like your life as it is, then show it to the world. And about the beat, it's just amazing..Man, I ain't even gonna say a thing about it. You just know you've gotten a hold of something really special when you hear the beginning of the track. And the whole album follows the same idea in the beats, they all fit together perfectly! The same atmosphere carries out throught the album makin you feel that you are watching a movie with your ears.

Pulp Fiction pt.1 is another track I lift off the album. It's a cinematic joint about two men. They have lived their life strugglin in the streets. Thats something that they never had in mind. All they want is to have money, lots of it. One of them suggest that they start to sell drugs to make big money and to accomplish their goals..It's about those choices mentioned in the first track of the album. That's what I was talking 'bout, the album is a story followin a plot.

Hammertime let's the duo go crazy with their flows. I know, the lyrics are nothin new, but I like their style of spittin to this beat. It's HAMMERTIME! This joint might find it's way to the clubs makin people dance their worries away. This is feel good music! Go crazy, goofy and drink more than you can afford and lift a middle finger to those who are worryin about something! Stylin is a perfect continuum to the previous track. "We stylin ba-be!" And I hope this track is sarcastic, and I know it is. I think they tryin to question the current situation in hip-hop: boastin, braggin, flashin and stylin...Nobody spits about the real shit anymore. They be speakin only about how many cars they have. How can the kid from the ghetto relate to that if we don't count toy cars?

Lauren London is a love record about the one. The beat sets a groovy tune to this track with crispy drums and a funky bass line. The chorus is typical but good. Lift your hands up hight and make it clap! Snap your fingers, feel the groove! Again more of that feel good music, they really know how to make the listeners happy!

U-N-I has definetely put lot of time to this masterpiece and you can hear it! I have listened to it only a couple of times and I can't say if it's a classic or not. But one thing I sure can say is that it's something special! It's an album, not a collection of tracks. There's some things on the release that I don't like that much but it doesn't really matter 'cause the good things out shine the bad. I will be expecting something really big from this West Coast powerhouse when they step into the studio the next time. This is a heads up for all of us in the hip-hop game. It's all love!"

Check Out Sammy Jam on Myspace!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/sammyjamtku

No comments:

Post a Comment